Oct 11, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) announced today that a 39-year-old Egyptian woman has H5N1 avian influenza, while officials in Indonesia reported another fatal human case there.The Egyptian patient, from the Gharbiya governorate in the Nile Delta, about 60 miles northwest of Cairo, fell ill Sep 30 and was hospitalized Oct 4, the WHO said. She has pneumonia and remains hospitalized in stable condition. Reuters reported today that the woman has been treated with oseltamivir and that her family was being tested for the virus.The woman had recently slaughtered and plucked about a dozen ducks after illness and deaths started occurring in the flock, according to the WHO.The woman is Egypt’s 15th avian flu case-patient and the first since May. All of the country’s previous cases, six of which were fatal, occurred between late March and May, the WHO said.With the Egyptian case, the WHO’s global avian flu count rose to 253 cases with 148 deaths.Avian flu in poultry resurfaced in Egypt on Sep 5, when the country’s agriculture minister confirmed an H5N1 case on a farm in the southern province of Sohag, about 305 miles south of Cairo. Another outbreak was reported in late September among domestic birds at a home near Aswan, in southern Egypt, near the border with Sudan.In Indonesia, health ministry official Joko Suyono told Bloomberg News today that a 67-year-old woman from West Java province is infected with the H5N1 avian flu virus. The woman is from Bandung, where at least one other avian flu case occurred recently.If the case is confirmed by the WHO, it will be Indonesia’s 70th.The woman was hospitalized in Bandung on Oct 2, two days after she experienced flu-like symptoms, said Suyono, who added that diseased poultry were the likely cause of the woman’s infection.Today’s report gave no indication whether the woman has any connection with previous avian flu cases in Bandung. A 20-year-old man who died on Sep 27 tested positive for H5N1, and his 23-year-old brother died of similar symptoms 3 days earlier but was never tested. Their 15-year-old sister was hospitalized at about the same time, but tests indicated she had seasonal flu.See also:Oct 11 WHO statement
The Market Research and Strategic Planning Department of the Croatian National Tourist Board regularly twice a year reviews the direct flights and direct air connections of Croatian airports with 12 major emitting markets.”In order to help business entities in tourism in planning such special offers, which can be offered to partners in the markets (tour operators and agents), but also to individual clients, an overview of direct flights and direct air connections of Croatian airports with 12 significant emitting markets according to information obtained from Dubrovnik, Split, Zagreb airports, Zadar, Osijek, Pula and Rijeka”Point out the CNTB.The overview of direct flights will be regularly updated with information on newly established flights when they become available, which is crucial to know how to plan well and organize targeted tourism programs and activities for our emitting markets. Of course, as the time of fairs and b2b meetings has just started with the recently concluded WTM fair in London, we can certainly expect changes, ie the addition of new lines.It was confirmed that Ryanair will open eight new routes to Zadar Airport in the new season, from the Czech Republic, Poland, Italy and Germany and two new connections to Rijeka Airport, London and Manchester, while TUI announced that plan to introduce a new tourist tour City break on the route Zagreb-Plitvice-Krka-Split. By the way, in September 2018, Croatian airports recorded 1 thousand passengers or 435% more than in the same month last year. The next air connectivity review is expected in late April / early May, but any changes in the meantime will be added to the list.Side dish: Overview of direct air connections in Croatia – winter 2018-2019 RELATED NEWS:GROWING INTEREST OF BRITISH TOUR OPERATORS AND AIRLINERS FOR CROATIATRAFFIC GROWTH IN AIR AND MARITIME TRAFFIC
Topics : “There are a lot of people who love to eat bat dishes. The majority of them come from Minahasa,” Mereyke said. Paniki (bat stew or curry), is well-loved among the Manadonese. It is often served at special occasions such as house parties or church events.“Bat meat indeed tastes delicious. The cooking method and the spices used are no different than other dishes, only we add coconut milk and turmeric to it,” said Helpy Poluakan, a paniki enthusiast. Nicolina Pelealu, a restauranteur, took bat off the menu at all of her restaurants in Manado after learning that the animal carried the coronavirus.Nicolina, who manages Minahasa’s famous Tanta Ola Restaurant, said she did not want to risk her business by selling paniki. “Virus issues aside, we are afraid that people will spread rumors to put us down if we’re still selling paniki. So I have decided to take it off the menu at my restaurant,” she said. “Although we have temporarily stopped selling bat dishes at the restaurant, I will still cook for personal orders, especially the ones coming from my regulars,” she added. (dpk) In light of the novel coronavirus outbreak, restaurants in Manado, North Sulawesi, have put a temporary hold on selling bat dishes. “We haven’t sold [bat dishes] for a week. We are worried because we’ve learned that bats are carrying the virus,” Mereyke, who owns a restaurant near Tikala Manado street, said on Tuesday.Mereyke said bat meat stewed in coconut milk had been one of his best sellers, along with other bat dish variations.
“Where are the masks going — are they going out the backdoor?” he added. “Somebody should probably look into that, because I just don’t see from a practical standpoint how that’s possible to go from that to that, and we have that happening in numerous places.”Personal protective equipment is the single thing that separates medical personnel from becoming patients themselves, Kenneth Raske, president of the Greater New York Hospital Association, said in a statement.“New York’s health care workers are treating exploding numbers of Covid-19 patients around the clock – willingly and without complaint. My daughter, an ICU nurse at a New York City hospital, is one of them,” Raske said. “They deserve better than their president suggesting that PPE is ‘going out the back door’ of New York hospitals.”Topics : President Donald Trump alleged a New York hospital is losing medical masks or even allowing them to be stolen, questioning how demand for the product could have spiked so rapidly during the coronavirus outbreak.Trump cited no evidence and didn’t identify the hospital. At a news conference Sunday in the White House Rose Garden, after the chief executive officer of medical distributor Owens & Minor Inc. said that one of its customers had gone from using 10,000 to 20,000 masks a week to 200,000 to 300,000, the president suggested a criminal reason.“How do you go from 10 to 20, to 300,000 — 10 to 20,000 masks to 300,000, even though this is different. Something’s going on, and you ought to look into it, as reporters,” Trump said.
October 09, 2020 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Governor Wolf Announces New PPE Manufacturer Project, New Jobs in Lackawanna County Economy, Press Release, Workforce Development Governor Tom Wolf announced that Gentex Corporation, a fourth-generation, family-run, advanced manufacturer of personal protection equipment (PPE) and situational awareness systems for defense, law enforcement/first responder, and industrial safety applications has partnered with the commonwealth to expand its operations at its headquarters in Fell Township, Lackawanna County, creating 60 new jobs and retaining 484 jobs at the facility.“Gentex develops products that are critical for public health and safety,” said Gov. Wolf. “We are pleased to partner with this company on an expansion project that will help protect our frontline workers as we continue to battle this pandemic.”Gentex will renovate and optimize its existing 299,000-square-foot headquarters and manufacturing facility, purchase new machinery and equipment, and continue investing in training its skilled workforce. The company is investing over $14 million into a phased multi-year renovation project.“Gentex is committed to continue growing in Northeast Pennsylvania,” said Gentex CEO L.P. Frieder. “This investment, with the support of the Department of Community and Economic Development, assists us in retaining and developing the talent necessary to design and deliver the innovative products and technologies our global customers demand.”The project was coordinated by the Governor’s Action Team, an experienced group of economic development professionals who report directly to the governor and work with businesses that are considering locating or expanding in Pennsylvania.Gentex was founded in 1894 and is a premium supplier to the U.S. Department of Defense and its allies. They develop helmet systems and capability upgrades/accessories, respiratory protection systems, hearing protection and communications, PPE, performance optics and aluminized fabrics (OEM).For more information about the Governor’s Action Team or DCED, visit dced.pa.gov, and be sure to stay up-to-date with all of our agency news on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
The Lady Pirates soccer team hosted the Lady Twisters of Oldenburg and came away with a 1-1 tie.Kasey Moeller put the Lady Pirates on the board when she took a through ball from Maddi Hellmich and netted it at the 20 minute mark of the first half.In the second half Oldenburg scored their only goal with 24 minutes to play. Overall OA held possession for the majority of the game but the man-marking by Rylie Smith and defensive play put pressure on the OA offense. Keeper McKella Lynette had another solid game between the pipes making 14 saves of the 15 shots on goal. Taking shots for the Lady Pirates were Moeller, Hellmich, Emma Overmyer, and Michaela Myers.The Lady Pirates will be back in action on Tuesday when they host the Lady Raiders of South Ripley at 5PM. The tie brings the overall record to 2-2-1 for the Lady Pirates.Courtesy of Pirates Coach Mike Myers.
Fabianski is preparing for his first return to the Emirates Stadium on Monday with Arsenal chasing second spot in the Barclays Premier League and just three weeks away from meeting Aston Villa in the FA Cup final at Wembley. The Poland international’s last Arsenal appearance came in the FA Cup final victory over Hull 12 months ago but Fabianski then chose to leave on a free transfer and has since become Swansea’s undisputed number one. Former Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski has no regrets about leaving the Gunners, according to his Swansea manager Garry Monk. “I don’t think Fab is one to have any regrets,” Monk said. “He made his decision for the reasons that were right for him and there is no telling what kind of season he would have had if he’d stayed with Arsenal. “It came to the point in his career where he wanted to try and push, it was important for him to get the opportunity to play regular football. “I made it very clear that was not guaranteed, but he’s earned that right as well. “Having seen him play and analysed him I knew if he came and committed to the work then he would be a very strong player for us. “The talent he has, and the expertise he has, means he has laid down a marker for himself and for the other keepers here. “The next challenge for him will be to do it again and do it even better. That will be the real test, to back it up with another strong season.” Fabianski had plenty of critics during his seven seasons at Arsenal where he made a total of 78 appearances, and was even labelled ‘Flapianski’ by some. But the 30-year-old has played a huge part in Swansea’s best-ever Premier League season – Monk’s men head to north London in eighth place with a club record haul of 53 points – and even reclaimed the Poland number one jersey he lost during his time at Arsenal. Fabianski has kept 12 clean sheets in the Premier League and still has an outside chance of winning the Golden Glove for most shut-outs. “Lukasz has been truly fantastic and when I made a decision on bringing a keeper in last summer I wanted someone who could play with his feet and have good distribution,” Monk said. “Obviously, Fab has that but I also wanted someone who could command the box and be very confident as I was very conscious of the crossing element. “We did a study last summer about how teams attack and what were their biggest weapons and crosses were at the top of the list. “It wasn’t that he might come here and fail – I just wanted him to come here and continue to do it. “I think you have seen from this season he continuously comes and tries to help his defence. “He punches, catches and I can’t really remember him dropping a cross. “But even if that did happen, he is the type of character who would continue to be confident.” Press Association
People traveling from Florida to New York may soon be required to quarantine upon their arrival in the Big Apple, in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Thursday.Cuomo called the move, which he is still contemplating, a “full 180,” after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis required those traveling from New York to Florida to go into quarantine in late March.“If you went to Florida, you had to quarantine for two weeks because they were afraid that New Yorkers were bringing the virus to their state,” Cuomo said Thursday, according to the Daily News.He went on to say, “You want to talk about a full 180. Fast forward a 100 days, now we’re afraid they’re bringing the virus to our state.”New York may also require people traveling from any states that are experience seeing upticks in COVID-19 cases to quarantine, the Daily News explains.Across the nation we are seeing the virus increasing.New York is one of the exceptions. COVID cases are going down even after we began reopening.We must stay the course.It’s up to us, New York. https://t.co/6gZo0EPRSz— Andrew Cuomo (@andrewcuomo) June 17, 2020 “I haven’t made a decision yet, but I have had experts advise me of that. It is a real concern,” Cuomo said. “It could happen, and it’s something I’m considering.”Last month, DeSantis said his order, which he passed as cases in New York began to rise quickly, helped to prevent deaths. The order remains in effect.Gov. Cuomo’s comments come as Florida sees a rise in coronavirus cases and deaths.The state added an all-time record 3,207 cases in one day on Thursday, according to the Florida Department of Health. The previous record, which was set last Tuesday, was 2,783 cases.
ELLSWORTH — Five players from Hancock County wore their high school colors on the gridiron for the final time Saturday as they helped the East top the West 40-14 in Lobster Bowl XXIX at Thornton Academy in Saco.For Ellsworth/Sumner, Ethan Kane received playing time on the offensive line. It was the first game in almost a year for Kane, who broke his arm in a game against Mount View on Sept. 9.Bucksport’s representative was Chase Carmichael, who started all four years for the team at quarterback. Carmichael switched to play wide receiver in the East’s Lobster Bowl win.Colby Lee, Croix Albee and Micah Hallett represented Class C North runner-up Mount Desert Island. Lee played running back and defensive back, and Albee and Hallett played tight end and offensive lineman, respectively.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text
Panchkula (Haryana): India’s former World Cup winning captain Anup Kumar on Wednesday announced his retirement from Kabaddi, ending a 15-year iconic career. Anup announced his retirement ahead of a Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) season 6 match, where he represents the Jaipur Pink Panthers. A veteran in his sport, Arjuna Awardee, Anup began his international career in 2006 at the South Asian Games in Sri Lanka. He was part of the national team that won gold medals in 2010 and 2014. (IANS) Also Read: Sports News